Saturday, January 28, 2006

 

My first beer...eh, s'ok

Yep having my first beer as I write this waiting for the foam to go down. I think it's roughly a dollar for a pint? Budweiser, too. Definitely not downing it because alcohol and I don't get along. But it's like going to Maine and not trying the lobster, you just don't do that. Yeah there are two IKEAs here but NO STARBUCKS!!! Instead there are little coffee houses everywhere (Kavarnas).
Yesterday my friends and I wandered around Prague castle, but didn't actually go in. Saw the changing of the guards, which happens every hour. I'd add a picture, but I can't seem to find a USB port on the computer I'm using. Then we wandered around Old Town Hall/Square for a couple hours window shopping. We were trying to find a cheap place to eat in the most touristy place in Prague, it wasn't happening. We gave up and had pizza. Pretty good: ham, salami, sour cream. We got back and had tea and cookies... again. We're a pretty happenin' bunch. Today, so far, we went to a newer part of the city to go shopping some more. I bought a purse b/c I needed something that went over my shoulders.
Now we're just chilling, waiting to go to the Opera. We heard that if you show up right before the show with your student id, it's super cheap. They are showing Verdi's Nabucco or something like that. If we can't get in, we plan on going to see a movie instead. Tomorrow, the girls and I are all going to the Ballet to see Cinderella. We're in the nosebleed section, but it only cost 50 kc, or roughly $2. Not bad for some culture, huh? Besides, the national theater (Narodni divadlo) is incredibly beautiful inside.
My sis asked me some questions: I see a road when I look out my window... but I can see the spires of a church, haven't figured out which one yet. The tram goes right under our window every half hour or so... all night. The showers are incredibly small and are pretty moody when it comes to temp and pressure, plus with four girls' worth of shampoo bottles on the floor, makes it even more fun. We take a metro to school, though sometimes I walk so I can cross Charles Bridge. So far we are only taking our language course from 9am-1pm. There are a couple of breaks in between to go down to the cafeteria to get a sandwich and a beer. No I haven't drank beer at school. A typical day consists of getting out of school, wandering around until dark (5ish) and then returning back to the dorms and lounging. Typical for ME anyway. Most everyone else came here to drink... EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!
That's about it for now, have only drank 2 sips of my beer so I don't know what I'm going to do with the rest. Oh well. Talk to you all soon!!

Comments:
Budweiser? Really?? You went halfway around the world for that? Shoot, you want me to pick up a 6-pack of Miller Lite or something before we come over to visit?
 
Hey Jess, I snuck in and added some links to your post; hope you don't mind! Since I was looking up all those places anyway, I thought I might make my time a little more constructive. Cheers! Brian
 
Ah, the world traveler!! Is this the same person who left Toledo just a week ago?

Again, a wonderful experience. NOT THE BEER, BABY DOLL, but the culture! And, the cooking! I'm beside myself here. Can't wait until you come home a cook for us too!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?