Sunday, February 12, 2006

 

Don Giovanni... ugh

So yesterday was the day we all saw Don Giovanni at the Stavovske Divadlo. It was also Amaanda's birthday... so let me go in chronological order:

We decided to have birthday lunch at Bohemia Bagel. This place is the best! Kind of expensive, almost all American food without the guilt of going to an American chain restaurant, and pretty healthy stuff. I had a turkey sandwich on a tomato basil bagel. You can get a big bowl of soup with a bagel of your choice and cream cheese (for 25kc extra) all for 55kc... roughly $2!! Their soups are good too. The other day I got a BBQ chicken sandwich with coleslaw and fries... YUM! Anyway...

We walked to the theater from the restaurant... did I mention we have to dress up for these plays and thus are freezing because man has yet to invent warm dress up clothes? Plus I was stupid and wearing only two short sleeve shirts under my dress coat. The theater is really pretty (see pics, one of the stage, one of the balconies where us cheapskates sit, and one of the purty chandelier). I liked this one best because it's blue.



The opera itself... boring. The beginning was slow, and I forgot how much theu repeat themselves in operas: "Swear to me swear to me swear to me, you will revenge his death my love his death his death his death, my love love love, swear to me to me me me his death death death my love me death love swear to me love my my love death swear... death... me... loooooooove" Second verse same as the first. It was three hours long with a twenty minute intermission. I think I'll just stick to musicals and plays from here on out. Plus the Europeans here STINK!!!

Speaking of which, our water is still not up to par. It's working on the first floor alright, so I know a couple of people down there that let us use their showers. We have water, just not hot water, and the shower just trickles. So I think we're looking at roughly 48 hours without good water.... but it's all of Praha 6 I'm told. Our dishes.... all five of them, are dirty, and need washed, but we're too lazy. Oh well, we are all college folk. That's about it for now... write later... BYE!!

Comments:
Hey Jess, it's Jeanette! After I read that opera thing I just cracked up HA...sounds like the opera is just the thing I should write because I can repeat myself with the best of them :). I love reading this journal, I feel like I'm living vicariously through your pictures. You are taking massive adventures and that's great. You are trekking all over town. I'm glad you are doing well, and I hope your water starts to work better. See you soon!
 
You know, mere attendance only counts a little bit as far as "getting cultured". Appreciation goes a long way, too. ;) Great picture of the theater, though! Especially that chandelier ... your hands have acquired the steadiness of a cold-war sniper. Speaking of which, what kind of remnants of the Prague's Communist era still remain ... and buildings, statues, etc? *B*
 
The building I'm in kinda looks like a communist-style building... very blah. Otherwise, just the people... haven't gotten into the full swing of welcoming creativity and individuality, let alone religion (which was banned for the most part). They're trying though... some make up for others. Did you see my red-haired teacher?!?!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?