Monday, February 20, 2006

 

Squoze, Past Tense of Squeeze

Sorry it's been so long, but all my connections, computer-wise, were off in Venice, Berlin, or Krakow. Me, I stayed home...

Anyway, up-to-date: Saturday, Hilary (I think from New York, she's a trip!), Mandy, and I went on a long tour of Prague Castle. The way it works is you can either pay for all the sights inside individually, or buy a big group package to see lots , if not all, at once. You also "need" to buy a photo license in order to take pictures, but no one ever carded us and I took plenty of pics without paying (baaaaaad Jessi). The thing is, the Castle grounds are free.. and almost the best part. The cathedral (I want to say St. Vitus), is free to go in part way, but if you want to go all the way to the back, or down to the Royal Crypt (not really worth it), you need to pay. But you can see enough of the church just wakjing in, it's really pretty. We all paid for the biggest tour, 250kc maybe, but with our student discount it was 175... still not totally worth it. We got to go all the way into the Church, the Crypt, the Old Royal Palace (kinda dull, but good views at the top, defenestration room, which is another way of saying the room they use to chuck crappy kings and rulers out of), the National Gallery (which is worth paying for, unfortunately by the time we got to it, we were all tired and hungry so we didn't see much), the Powder Tower (not tall enough for a good view of anything and all it contains are little minature soldier things and a grotesque representation of medieval surgeries, or something), Golden Lane (a cute little mini-type town where all the king's snipers once lived and now contains a crap-ton of souveneir shops... very "quaint"), and that was about it. I'd pay to go into the National Gallery, and maybe the Royal Palace, but all the other worthwhile stuff is free. GO on a dry day so that when you get to the cathedral, you can lay down on the ground to get a good picture.



Yesterday I went souveneir shopping, for people other than me! So some of you may actually get stuff, although my warm presence back home should be quite enough. I've received one package since I've been here... now I'm spoiled and want more... but it's super expensive to send stuff. It only took about 6 days for it to get here, so if you do send things internationally, it shouldn't take too long, in general.

Today, I did doodely-squat.. everyone came home from their respective trips and it is no longer quiet in the dorms. Oh well. Oh! Squoze! So Mandy and I are writing in our journals last night when she looks up and asks me how to spell squoze.. I said "what?" she replies, "squoze, you know, the past tense of squeeze?" Well, this launched a ten minute debate into the legitamacy of the word squoze. We tracked someone down in the dorm who had a computer and they looked it up online for us. It's not on dictionary.com... but it is apparently a word, albeit an archaic one that is very rarely used except for those of the Idahoan persuasion. Whoda thunk? So, we may bring it back, the two of us, this lovely word squoze. Go ahead, try it out, it's pronounced like it's spelled, rhymes with chose. Ain't it lovely? Ah, Idahoans, such a funny people.... I love them all!

Comments:
BTW, wakjing, in Czech, means walking... I swear :o)
 
Hi there Jess -- We're totally enjoying your updates - I'm going to try-out "squoze" on my retired-teacher grandmother, LOL!!! Hope all's well there - Diggin' your pics too, BTW. Thanks for sharing.
Susan
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?