Wednesday, March 22, 2006

 

Whew, they're finally gone!!

Ha ha.. j/k. Well, it HAS been a long week. There is a lot of ground to cover and I'll probably break it off into two blogs (do I smell a sequel?).


$0.64 beer on the left, $1.00 beer on the right

So Mimi and Brian arrive and I meet them in their hotel's bar, 'twill be a recurring theme throughout the week, bars. Anywho, I decide to take it relatively easy on them and just take the tram back to my dorm (where I quickly hid my homemade cookies, Italian dressing, and real, actual Coke). Met my roomies, showed them the hot plate (UPDATE: We got a new one today!!!). Then I decided I'd take them to a restaurant by their hotel, but first we meandered our way back. We went through Prague Castle grounds, which is really pretty at night, and free. Then we walked semi-along the Vltava river, up and across the Charles Bridge, down Tourist Row (no it's not actually called that, just looks like it), and to the restaurant U Vejvodu. Introduced them to good Czech food, and beer. It was about 9 p.m. and Brian was falling asleep at the table. Took them back to their hotel and went home myself. End of day one...

Day dva: BIG DAY. Started off with my little field trip to Kutna Hora that I signed them up for. It was a lovely little trip, only went until about 3 in the afternoon, not an all dayer. Saw a walkway where they filmed parts of The Three Musketeers... pretty neat, made to look like France. Best of all? NO HIKING! When we got back, I took them to the famed Bohemia Bagel to show them what all the fuss was about. They thoroughly enjoyed it. Tomato soup with a huge cheese bagel: $2, Coke w/ FREE refills: little under $2, spending time with the family 5,000 miles away from home: priceless. Across the street is a Communist Memorial. Looked at that for awhile and decided to go up to Petrin Hill to look out the Eiffel Tower. However, apparently the funicular train was under construction the whole week they were here. No worries, we just walked (hiked) our way up. Problem: Eiffel Tower thingy is only open on Saturdays and Sundays... d'oh. Walked around a little up there and moseyied our way over to Strahov Monastery where I attempted to show them a wooden nativity scene (gone) and the cute little doorway with a tree growing over it (closed off). FINE! At this point we are all by my dorm again so we decide to upload some pics and doodle on the computer (Shelly is definitely on my list of people to buy cars for one day). After THAT we took the metro over to Old Town, by this time it was dark out and all was purty. Walked through the drug and cabaret scene, forgot it was St. Patty's Day, to Wencenslas Square. We ate a crap-ton of Chinese food at my fave place, we were miserably stuffed. Walked up and down the square, back to Old Town for some not-so-much-needed gelato, went to an Irish pub for Patty's sake, then booked it to Malostranska in order to catch the last available tram before the night ones kicked on. Whew, I was worn out. Got home about 12:30 a.m.

Leaning against the grain at the Communist Memorial

There's my beloved Bohemia Bagel

I'll continue the rest tomorrow... some further updates. Got Venice and Krakow paid off and just booked my trip to Karlovy Vary, which is the Czech spa town. Gonna get me some RE-LAX-A-TION! Like I need it. Anyway, just been told that Daylight Savings Time over here is this Sunday whereas back home it's the following week, weird. But that means there will be a seven hour difference for a week... I think. I'm getting a headache. It's like trying to contemplate the scope of the universe, DST + different time zones = oww oww oww. I leave Friday for Vienna, Budapest, and Bratislava. Hopefully Brian will be putting up a helpful little calender once he recoups from jet lag (feel free to put up any pics you want regarding today's blog, you have the better pics anyway). Talk to y'all tomorrow... bye!

The whole gang at Wencenslas Square


Comments:
Yes, they're back home safe and sound :-) Just got to get one more child home in a couple months!

They had a great time and the trip is a long one back home.

I can't wait to see all the pictures!

Love, mom
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?